Experts in Non Resident Taxation - File Form 1040NR.
Save taxes on F1, J1, H1B and other visas

Form 1040NR-EZ Instructions

Non Resident Tax return for International Students F1, J1 visas and non-resident visa holders.

The International Student Tax Form or Non Resident Tax Form 1040NR EZ, is for Single or Married non residents, with no dependents like Spouse of Children. The Tax Form should be filed along with Form 8843.

The only income that can be reported is:

  • Wages/salary reported on Form W-2.
  • Scholarship and fellowship grants reported on Form 1042-S.
  • Unemployment compensation reported on Form 1099-G.
  • State tax refund from the previous year's tax returns (reported on a different version of IRS tax Form 1099-G). Note that this income is taxable ONLY IF you itemized your deductions the previous year on Schedule A.

You can claim only a few deductions on Form 1040NR-EZ. They include:

  • Itemized deductions for state and local taxes withheld from your salary.
  • Student loan interest
  • Amount paid for college tuition and books that used taxable Scholarship and fellowship grants reported on Form 1042-S.

Scan and Send through email or Fax the documents that are applicable to you. If you plan to mail us the Tax documents, please take photocopies of the original documents and mail us only the photocopies.

All pages including Visa and I-94 Pages for Yourself and your Spouse (if joint filing) from your Passports.

  • Last Year's Tax Return (Optional, but highly recommended). If you do not provide a copy, please list what type of tax return was filed in the previous year, and whether you PAID taxes to the state in which you reside.
  • All W-2(s).
  • Forms 1042-S (for Scholarship and Fellowship grants).
  • Form 1099-G (Unemployment Compensation, State Tax refund)
  • Form 1098-E and 1099-INT (Qualified Student Loan Interest Statement from Sallie Mae, Banks)
  • A VOIDED check from the Checking or Savings account where you want the refund deposited or the tax due withdrawn.
  • Scan and Send your documents through Email or Fax your documents
By Tax Expert    February 20th, 2020